Chakra 3 could not have come at a better time! It's all about setting an intention and exercising your will to accomplish it! January is over and as many of you know, this is the time when people may find that their initial goal for the new year was not so realistic. So reflect on where you really want to see yourself and be honest about what you are capable of integrating into your life right now. Small changes are easier to stick to because they are reasonable. Is there a goal you have for yourself that is more of an end goal instead of a right now goal? Are you ready to take back the power?
Chakra 3: Directing
The third chakra is thepower chakraand rules the metabolism. The major organs of the digestive system, stomach, liver, pancreas, and gall bladder are influenced by the third chakra. The seed sound is RAM, the color is yellow and the element is fire. With your body grounded (chakra 1) and your emotions flowing (chakra 2), you now begin to generate energy. This chakra governs the conversion of metabolic energy into action. In order for this to happen, your consciousness has to sort through your many impulses and make a decision to act on some and ignore others. When this occurs with the right skill and the desired outcome, you experience power. Physical imbalances include indigestion, hypoglycemia, diabetes, disorders of the liver/pancreas/stomach/gall bladder, and chronic fatigue.
How would you rate your energy level throughout the day? Is it steady? Do you have cycles of highs and lows?
How would you rate your digestion? What could you do to improve it?
Is your sense of self consistent and strong? Can you stand your ground when challenged?
Do you constantly seek attention or approval from others? If so, what is it you are really seeking and how can you find it within yourself?
Are you able to take appropriate action when necessary?
Do you seek other people's permission to take action, letting others control you?
Do you maintain healthy boundaries for yourself, saying "no" when you need to, and protecting that which is important to you?
Do you feel anxious when you sit still?
What happens when you aren't doing something?
Driven (compulsively focused towards goals)
Attracted to sedatives
Lack of energy
Tendency toward submission
Low self-esteem, lack of confidence
Weak will, poor self-discipline
Use of stimulants
Positive sense of self
Spontaneous, playful, humorous
Able to take risks
Exercises: Be reasonable with yourself about when you can do these exercises and set an intention at the beginning of the day. Write it down somewhere so you can be reminded of where to direct your energy.
1. Since the third chakra has only soft tissue in front of it, it is crucially important for your belly to have good muscle tone. This supports your posture and your lower back, and contributes to a sense of power and purpose.
2. Lie on your back with your knees bent, your feet parallel, and your arms down at your sides.
3. Take a nice deep belly breath and inflate the belly on the inhale. Bring the belly button to the spine on the exhale and keep it engaged. On your next exhale, lift your knees with your legs touching to 90 degrees.
4. Stay here for 90 seconds or longer until you feel the burn!
1. Lie face down with your legs hip width apart and bring your hands alongside your shoulders.
2. Tuck your toes and push down into the heels of your hands to raise your body into plank.
3. Once in plank position, focus on making your body rigid throughout, a straight line from the top of your head to your feet, with your elbows straight but not hyperextended, and bringing your bellybutton to your spine.
4. Hold this for 90 seconds or more if you can. If you start to lose the engagement anywhere and can't regain it, come out of the pose. You can work up to the desired time.
1. This exercise is a fun way to gain control over your belly muscles, and it also stimulates the rise of Kundalini energy.
2. Sit in a cross-legged position with your spine erect. Imagine that you are sitting in a barrel and try to expand the front, sides, and back of your third chakra until they can touch the inside of the barrel.
3. Inhale and bring your belly forward, slightly arching your back As you exhale, move your middle section around to the right, and then to the back as your finish exhaling.
4. Inhale again, continue moving to the left until you can return to your beginning posture, with your belly forward and your breath fully expanded on your inhale.
5. Practice this exercise until you can make a complete cycle in one smooth movement, keeping your shoulders stationary. Continue until you can do ten complete rotations in one direction, and then ten in the opposite direction.