So how is your first chakra doing? I really love receiving updates from some of you and I am so happy this work is helping you! I want you to know that I am right there with you doing my exercises and answering my journal questions. I reread my answers everyday for the past two weeks while in front of a red candle to remind myself where my energy was focused. After the first week, I began to chant the seed sound for 5 minutes following my exercises in the morning. Talk about feeling the effects of the work! Once I integrated that into my day, I really started to feel a shift in thoughts associated with the chakra that I was struggling with. If you need a reminder of the last chakra, simply check the News page of my website. I post all my newsletters there for your reference.
Chakra 2: Moving
The second chakra is "one's own place" and includes the entire sacral area (hips, low back, abdomen, and genitals). The seed sound is VAM, the color is orange and the element is water. Water is fluid and gets things moving. This chakra represents your emotions and sexuality. Pleasure is the motivating principle of chakra 2 and is a natural healing force. It is often the denial of simple pleasures that leads to overindulgence and addiction. Physical imbalances include low back pain, hip joint deterioration, abdominal distention, genital diseases, bladder troubles, reproductive issues, and rigidity or undue stiffness in the muscles in general (abnormal inflexibility).
Do you take time to tune into your own emotional realm?
Do you have the courage to express emotions, clearly and at appropriate times?
Do you make room for pleasure in your life?
Can you experience satisfying sexuality with another?
What kind of messages did you receive as a child about your feelings and emotions?
What are you passionate about?
Where do you resist movement and change in your life, such as moving toward new experiences, locations, jobs, or relationships?
Addiction to stimulation
Poor boundaries, invasion of others
Rigidity in your body, beliefs, or behavior
Emotional numbness or insensitivity
Fear of change
Lack of desire, passion, or excitement
Avoidance of pleasure, fear of sexuality
Poor social skills
Ability to embrace change
Nurturance of self and others
Ability to enjoy pleasure
Exercises: you want to build on the foundation of earth energy from your legs by moving that energy from the first chakra to the second.
1. Lie comfortably on your back and place your hands over your hips. Take a moment to tune into your second chakra and make any affirmations or prayers that you feel are appropriate.
2. Then slowly bend your knees, placing your feet hip width apart. In rapid pulses, push your feet into the floor and then release, gently rocking your pelvis back and forth. This helps to relieve congestion and chronic muscle tension in the pelvic area. It also prepares you for the next exercise.
The Butterfly Movement
1. With your knees bent and your feet hip width apart and pulled back toward your buttocks, place your feet in contact with each other, and then open your legs like a butterfly until the soles of your feet are brought together. Note any tightness in your pelvis or inner thighs, and breathe into it. If there is a great deal of discomfort, use pillows on each side as a prop for your knees.
2. After a few minutes in this open position, bring your knees together as you exhale. When your knees touch, inhale and open them again. Go back and forth several times, experimenting with different speeds. Moving quickly will bring energy into the second chakra, whereas slower movements promote relaxation and release.
3. When you are ready to stop, allow your legs to open again and see if you sense any difference in your second chakra area. Then let your legs return to their full length and relax.